Stephen Kirkpatrick

Friday, May 25, 2012

Hanging Around




The morning’s first hour yielded nothing. Not a single thing. I was amazed at the lack of insect life in the vegetation on this cool, dewy morning. 
I headed to another favorite area, where I searched for another hour before I finally found a small butterfly covered in dew. But as I was trying to get my camera into position, I touched the surrounding grass causing the dew to fall, the tiny droplets raining out of the scene. The morning looked to be a total wash.
I had all but given up when I spotted something shining in the wet grass. A closer look revealed a delicate dragonfly hanging on some small fleabane flowers. I was setting up to shoot it when something told me to look a little harder. I found another, more photogenic dragonfly 50 feet away. 
My reward came just because I kept hanging around. 


#12 is in the books. Two images in two days, man I'm On A Roll.

Black Saddlebags (Tramea lacerata)


12)  Dragonfly & Dew  
    Madison County, MS
   May 23, 2012 - 7:39 am
   Clear, 59 degrees
   60mm, 1/8@f22, Tripod


Black Saddlebags (Tramea lacerata) & Fleabane




(all photos taken with Nikon P7000)



No comments:

Post a Comment