Stephen Kirkpatrick

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Two More To Go

Last week provided some interesting opportunities for photos. Saturday morning, I discovered this tiny praying mantis in blackberry briars, covered in dew, #34. The shot below is similar to the one I shot On A Roll (the film version will appear slightly different, as this is, after all, a point-and-shoot version.)

Two more shots to go and this roll will be finished. On this blog I will critique each shot from my memory as soon as I reach #36. I will do this before processing the film, so we can all see my evaluation before we see the actual results of three plus months of shooting. It should be interesting to see how well my evaluation (aka, prediction) stacks up against the actual shots. My guess, I'm going to have to start another roll for chapter one, "My Backyard."

Praying Mantis (Mantis religiosa) and Dew

34)    Praying Mantis and Dew - (H)
Madison County
October 1, 2011,  7:15 am
Clear,  47 degrees
60mm, 1/6@f16, Tripod




The shots below are ones I passed up last week for On A Roll but captured with a point-and-shoot.
  



Monday afternoon I spotted this "black phase" tiger swallowtail, which is fairly uncommon (see comparison below). They are often confused with the female spicebush swallowtail (Papilio troilus). 

Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus) "black phase"


Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus) "normal"








On Tuesday afternoon, the sunset looked as though it might blow me away, but then began to break up right at "prime time."

Oak Tree at Sunset






Wednesday afternoon looked good also, but needed this panoramic to capture it all. After the sun dropped down below the horizon, the wispy clouds over my head took on a pinkish hue just as a flock of geese were flying over. Love it!


Sunset Panorama




Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) in Flight at Dusk






Thursday morning was a bit of a rush since I had a presentation to do at a nearby elementary school at 8:30. I think it was worth the extra effort.
Foggy Sunrise Reflections


(photos taken with Nikon P7000)

1 comment:

  1. Love these images especially the first of the praying mantis. I got a shot of some Praying Mantis eggs this past summer but it took me a long time to figure out what they were. Jeanne

    ReplyDelete