Stephen Kirkpatrick

Friday, October 7, 2011

No Go...

Wednesday, October 5, 2011


I headed out in the chill of dawn across a field blanketed in heavy dew and fog. Immediately, a gray fox jumped out from under a tree, crossed in front of me, and ran into the heavy brush to my left. "Why didn't he stop?" I thought. "That could have been a great shot." I took another three or four steps and another fox jumped out, same tree, same pace, same brush, same missed shot. It was already an interesting morning and the sun wasn't even up.                                                                    


As I rounded another row of tall, heavy brush, 10-12 deer raised their heads in surprise, then sent up their white flags and bounded for cover. I just knew my dream of closing out this roll with two fantastic shots was going to happen.   


I reached my destination and set up. What a glorious morning. The sun was rising through a burning fog. I took the shot, #35 On A Roll...the end. 




****35)   Foggy Sunrise - (H)
Madison County
Octoberr 5, 2011,  7:21 am
Clear,  51 degrees
60mm, 1/160@f16, Tripod

You have got to be kidding me. Not again.


Yes, my friends, the roll ended on #35 again (see earlier entry, "False Start"). I took great care loading the film, and yet a second roll had ended one shot too early. I am going to shoot a "regular" roll through the F5 in the next few days to see if I can figure out what the problem is. I hope to determine how I can make sure I get 36 shots for the next On A Roll.

So, I will send this roll off to be processed and unless it is unbelievably fantastic, I will start a new one. I will also start the "from memory" evaluation of each shot in the next day or two.


And I thought the "My Backyard" roll would be the easy one of the three I need to complete this book.




Sunrise burns over the field as I headed home disappointed.



(photos taken with Nikon P7000)

No comments:

Post a Comment