Stephen Kirkpatrick

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Impatience, NOT A Good Trait

I just got a roll of film back that included a shot intended to be the first image on my current On A Roll shoot. I had suspected the shot might be blurry, and decided to start over again with a fresh roll. Seeing this film now proves my instincts were right. The initial shot was indeed blurry and overexposed. I'm glad I started over.  






Below is an excerpt from my December 19th blog (read entire entry there.)


I was preparing to head out myself when an nice eight-point buck walked out and headed for the spot then stopped to smell. When he lifted his head, click. I got it. 


But from the moment I pushed the shutter release, I worried about the shot not turning out well because of the shutter speed being too slow, causing the image to be blurry from lens movement. It was, after all, the very first shot of what would  be a long, challenging photo assignment. Yesterday, when I saw the evening clouds building, I decided to pull the roll and start over. It turned out to be a good idea. While loading the new roll, I noticed I had adjusted the exposure compensation to give another stop of light. I had done this on one of my last shots in California a couple of weeks ago and had forgotten to go back and reset it. The deer would not only have been blurry, but it would have also been overexposed. This was all caused by two weeks of trying to get an opening shot for On A Roll for which I had become very impatient, NOT a good trait for a wildlife/nature photographer, especially shooting film.




Close-up view (blurry and overexposed)




1)  White-tailed Deer Buck - (H)
Madison County, MS
December 14, 2011 - 4:55 pm
Partly Cloudy, 66 degrees
500mm, 1/6@f4, Tripod

(original entry before I started over)






No comments:

Post a Comment