Stephen Kirkpatrick

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Daily Double


Yesterday afternoon turned out to be rich in interesting subject matter and I ended up getting two shots On A Roll. Below are a few other things I encountered while I was out. By the way, a few readers have asked me how I’m posting photos on the blog when the roll is still in the camera. To clarify, I’m taking the shots you see here with another camera or sometimes even with my iPhone, not with the camera that still holds THE roll.


Muscadine Vine (Muscadinia rotundifolia) and Boneset (Eupatorium perfoliatum)

The edge of the marsh was thick with plant life and the butterflies and bees were converging on the boneset, one of their favorite foods.





Immature Water Moccasin (Agkistrodon piscivorus)

This little guy was less than a foot long. I thought he was cute but I would guess most people would disagree. When they are young their coloration can be a lot more bold. Be warned -  their bite is every bit as potent as that of an adult.











Changing Leaves

I isolated a composition in this group of leaves and got it On A Roll. With the odd, contrasty lighting I'm curious to see how it turns out.


32)    Decaying Fall Leaf - (H)
Madison County
September 26, 2011,  5:23 pm
Clear,  79 degrees
500mm, 1/200@f7.1, Tripod




Katydid

The vegetation was bustling with activity, full of katydids, grasshoppers and green tree frogs.





Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) at Dusk

This is the same flock of geese I shot On A Roll. This shot was taken a few minutes later as they headed to a nearby cornfield.


33)    Canada Geese in Flight at Sunset - (H)
Madison County
September 26, 2011,  6:44 pm
Clear,  76 degrees
500mm, 1/500@f8, Hand Held





Oak Tree at Sunset



(all photos taken with Nikon P7000)

No comments:

Post a Comment