Stephen Kirkpatrick

Monday, September 5, 2011

Dance With The One Who Brung Ya'

This project has stimulated a lot of thought and contemplation, some  good, some bad. I've tried to rely on my "mind's eye" to provide the vision for the perfect, On A Roll images I hope to capture, but I've found that vision to be a little blurry. 

In an attempt to bring it into focus, I examined some of my past work. I was drawn to “Black Swans,” an image shot about six weeks after I got my first camera, which I included in my first book, First Impressions (1983).  In the introduction to that book, I wrote, "More important to me now is not the sharpness of a photo but its message, composition, and the emotions it transmits and evokes." I went on to describe "Black Swans" as “the first image that ever felt right.” 

Instead of worrying about the minute imperfections of the shot, perhaps I need to keep my mind’s eye focused on those ideals. That seems the best way to truly guarantee a result that will not only please me, but will also speak to those who see it.



Black Swans (Cygnus atratus)   
July 1981
from the book  
FIRST IMPRESSIONS



25)  Foxtail at Sunrise - (H)
Madison County
August 30, 2011, 6:58 am
Clear, 68 degrees
60mm, 1/125@f8, Tripod

No comments:

Post a Comment