Stephen Kirkpatrick

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Waiting Game

The day began with a striking, pre-dawn red sky and high enthusiasm on my part for something On A Roll. Red-winged blackbirds were bursting out of the cattails surrounding me, hundreds, maybe thousands of them headed skyward all at the same time. The sight of them against the crimson backdrop was beautiful, but I waited, always conscious of having just one shot. 


Red-winged Blackbirds at Dawn




The sun was nearing the horizon when I spotted a hawk, on a dead tree, searching from his high perch over the Pearl River swamp. I set up and waited for the hawk to take off, but he didn’t budge. As I waited, the sun moved up and into the sky. Disappointed, I was moving to abandon my spot when I noticed the highlighted foliage in the swamp below the hawk. The interesting lighting changed the scene to my liking so I got it On A Roll. I'm glad I hadn’t departed after all. 

Red-tailed Hawk Searching for an Early Meal


When I finally did leave, the hawk was still on his perch. Things were moving a little slow on this 37-degree morning. He was waiting for that opportune moment, just like me when I am searching for another perfect capture for On A Roll




5)  Red-tailed Hawk - (V)  
Madison County, MS
January 19, 2012 - 7:37 am
Clear, 37 degrees
500mm w/2xTC, 1/1600@f8, Tripod


(photo taken with Nikon P7000)



No comments:

Post a Comment